Schedule Today!

https://my.setmore.com/bookingpage/123f7b91-9061-4614-b250-f31212a06b11

Search This Blog

Downingtown Nutrition & Weight Management Center

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Miss B's Birthday Celebration

A night out, no children and a babysitter all lined up. Yes we did it, we got out of romper room and went OUT for dinner! The spot... Maggiano's! What is so exciting is that every time I have eaten there I was a poor college/grad student. This time I actually had money to order an entree! So I planned my meal and calories ahead of time (which I thought of as I worked that treadmill, especially the cake and wine). Then, I worked out a bit more than usual (15 minutes more) TWO days before, ONE Day before and THE Day of so I can enjoy gnocchi as an appetizer, 1/2 the Tilapia meal, 1/4 birthday cake and two glasses of wine (sounds nice right!). I was so prepared and ready to feast! Unfortunately, just as it happens in life, it did not go as I planned.

The company was great, a great opportunity to focus on the conversation and not the bread at the table. Then, disaster. The waiter told me gnocchi does not come as an appetizer. What? Is this not an Italian restaurant? So I asked nicely AGAIN. Sorry it is not an appetizer. Okay, well give it to me as an appetizer, but just half and package the rest. Ok he said (well mumbled). I had my heart set on gnocchi, you know how you think of something and then you have to have it...well that gnocchi had my name all over it!

So it comes, not packaged in half and I ate the whole thing (shared maybe 4 tablespoons..maybe). Then I did the rest as I said. THEN, the waiter brings us an entire gnocchi to go with the check and says they are running a special. But that's fine I will divide, freeze and conquer again at home! Later, I calculated what I ate (because I'm not going to go completely off the wagon after all my hard work) and holy cow! The gnocchi was 1,870 calories (70 calories over my DAY'S worth of calories to maintain my weight), 51 grams of total fat (100% of my total fat allowance) and 137 grams of carbohydrates (that's like eating 9 pieces of white bread!). The extra calories have been the thick tomato vodka sauce, which was really high in calories. So I topped the night (one meal) with 2,560 calories after the wine, tilapia and dessert. It made me sick to my stomach. Was it worth it...oh yes...would I have done it differently again, yes. Maybe one glass of wine less and skipped the cake (it wasn't that gone anyway, the coffee was fab though). The gnocchi, I should have just left half or asked for the to go package and divided it in half myself. Sitting in front of me, that heavenly pasta dish, was beyond my will power not to eat it. Well I worked out the next day and went swimming with my little one (who loved it) so I am back on track (and a rock star in my almost 3 year old's eyes because I took her swimming).

Moral of the story: You can go out but you can't plan it all out, life does happen. Make corrective action as needed, motivate yourself to do it. It may be hanging up that bathing suit on the bathroom mirror or putting an "old" picture of your slimmer self on the fridge. Whatever it is that motivates you, find it and use it! Go girl go!

Cheers,

The Dieting Dietitian

No comments: